Our Services and Resources
Parenting Arrangements for Children
Whether you have been married, or live together in a de facto relationship (including a same sex relationship), if there are disputes about arrangements for your children these are covered by the Family Law Act. The Family Law Act sets out some core objectives for children:
- Children have a right to know and be cared for by both parents;
- Children have a right to spend time, and communicate regularly with both parents and other significant people (such as grandparents);
- Parents should share duties and responsibilities in relation to their children;
- Parents should agree about the future parenting of their children.
A key concept is parental responsibility. Parental responsibility is about parents making decisions about major long term issues affecting the children.
The courts can deal with all of the issues that arise regarding children on relationship breakdown including:
- Who makes decisions about their welfare, whether short term or long term;
- With whom they spend time, for how long and how often;
- Where they go to school;
- The name they are known by;
- Where they live, with whom, and whether a parent can move them interstate or overseas.
If there is a dispute between you and your partner about children, the Family Law Act now requires that you see a counsellor to try to resolve the problems before going to court. There are some exceptions. It also makes sense to try to reach an agreement because it can limit antagonism, reduce cost, save time, and keep children out of the court process.
We can help you first and foremost by explaining the law to you, and spelling out your rights and obligations and those of your children.
We can also help you by recommending counselling and mediation services.
If you reach an agreement we can help you and your children by making sure an agreement is properly recorded so that you can rely on it.
Last, we can assist you where it is necessary to go to court, and help you through the difficult process of litigation. Please contact us for assistance.
Level 15, 175 Liverpool Street
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia
PO Box 21117
World Square NSW 2002 Australia
175 Liverpool Street Parking Station, Entrance via 26 Nithsdale Street
Phone 1800 7275 464 - Closes at Midnight
Goulburn Street Parking Station, Cnr Goulburn & Elizabeth Streets
Phone 1800 727 5464 - Closes at Midnight
The content on this site is not intended to provide legal advice. It is general information only. You should not rely upon it as legal advice. If you would like to discuss anything of interest or concern to you, please contact us. Nothing arising from the information on this site is intended to create a legal relationship between us and any reader.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.